Want to know the basics of how to upcycle your old favorites? What about restyling a terrific shirt, pants or skirt you found the thrift shop? Read on for the simple steps in remaking your favorite apparel.
You may want to gather a few ideas first of how you want your skirt, shirt, dress or pants to be remade. There are terrific sources out there: Pinterest, Day Dreaming Archives (search for "upcycled clothes" in the search bar above), Sew It Again (www.sewitagain.com), Google Images (upcycled clothes ideas) and more. Check out a few magazines online, and be sure to click through on pictures you find on Pinterest and Google Images - they lead to some great blogs and sites for inspiration.
Ask yourself what are your goals?
- Do you want to add this piece or parts of the garment to another?
- Do you want to add something to the piece?
- Do you want to simply reduce or cut off sleeves, pant legs or length on a skirt/dress?
- Or, do you want to make a pattern from the piece to have it remade?
Study the Garment you want to upcycle or remake closely. Understanding or having an image of the basics of construction will play a large part in how your piece will be remade. Turn the garment inside out and follow the lines of construction. Look for seam intersections, overlays, how lace was inserted, etc.
Ready to move into giving life to your old apparel? You'll need the basic supplies:
- Scissors (sharp)
- Needle-nose Pliers
- Coordinating or matching thread
- Marking pencil
- Tracing paper (for remaking patterns)
- Hand sewing needles or sewing machine
- Embellishments and notions (elastic, buttons, zippers, lace, etc.) as you find neccessary
- Clean and clear work area such as a table or counter top
- Camera - for those glamour shots!
An example of the popular tank dress this season is to remove the hem from the tank top you have selected, remove the waist band from the skirt (or bodice from the dress) and stitch the two together (as shown).
Shirts can be remade into creative and comfortable pieces to add style to your wardrobe such as these below:
What ever you have in mind to remake in your wardrobe, or fabulous finds to upcycle from the thrift shop, I wish you success and inspiration to make your project as beautiful as you, today and always!